How to use
Generic Abilify (Aripiprazole) should be taken orally, usually once a day, with or without food. Follow the instructions of your doctor carefully. He may decide to prescribe you the minimum starting dose, then increase the dosage to reduce the risk of side effects. Use this medication regularly to enjoy its maximum benefits and try to take it at approximately the same time every day. Do not stop taking these pills without consulting your doctor first, even if you are feeling well. You may experience severe withdrawal symptoms if you stop taking Generic Abilify (Aripiprazole) suddenly.
Possible symptoms of a Generic Abilify (Aripiprazole) overdose include:
- A very fast heartbeat
- Loss of consciousness
If you suspect you have taken too much of this medication, contact your local poison control center or the emergency medical services immediately.
If you miss a dose of Generic Abilify (Aripiprazole), take it as soon as you remember. If it is nearly time for your next scheduled dose, skip the missed dosage and continue with the next one. Do not double up on this medication to make up for a missed dose.
Your doctor may want to perform regular medical and laboratory tests to chart your progress and check for side effects. Do not miss any of these appointments.
Do not share this medication with others as they may have a condition that is not effectively treated with Generic Abilify (Aripiprazole).
Store Generic Abilify (Aripiprazole) at room temperature between 59 and 86 degrees F (15-30 degrees C) and keep away from light and moisture. KEEP THIS AND ALL MEDICATIONS OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.
The above information is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of your physician, pharmacist or other healthcare professional. It should not be construed that the taking of this medication is safe, appropriate or effective for you.
Before taking Generic Abilify (Aripiprazole), you should tell your doctor about all other medical conditions you have or ever have had, including:
- Any allergies
- Problems with blood flow in the brain (cerebrovascular disease, stroke)
- A severe loss of body water (dehydration)
- Heart problems (e.g. low blood pressure, coronary artery disease, heart failure, irregular heartbeat)
- Nervous system problems (e.g. dementia, NMS, seizures)
- Trouble swallowing
- Alcohol or drug abuse
- Low white blood cell count
Generic Abilify (Aripiprazole) may cause dizziness, drowsiness or temporary blurred vision. Do not drive or operate any heavy machinery while taking this medication until you are sure you can perform these activities safely.
Generic Abilify (Aripiprazole) can increase the risk of heat stroke. Avoid any activities that may cause you to overheat, such as strenuous work or exercise in hot weather or using a hot tub. When the weather is hot, it is recommended you dress lightly and stay in cool or air-conditioned areas.
In rare cases, Generic Abilify (Aripiprazole) may cause or worsen diabetes. Even more rarely, serious conditions, such as a diabetic coma may occur. If you already are diabetic, you shpuld check your blood sugar levels regularly and inform your doctor straightaway in case of symptoms of high blood sugar, such as increased thirst or urination. Your doctor may opt to adjust your diet or anti-diabetic medication.
Elderly people may be more sensitive to the side effects of this medication, especially seizures, problems swallowing and other serious side effects. Caution is advised when Generic Abilify (Aripiprazole) is used by anyone in this age group.
Generic Abilify (Aripiprazole) is classed as Pregnancy Category C, which means it may be harmful to an unborn baby. It is not recommended to take this medication while pregnant. Discuss your options with your doctor if you are currently pregnant or planning to become pregnant during treatment.
It is not known whether Generic Abilify (Aripiprazole) passes into breast milk, therefore it is not recommended to breastfeed while taking this medication. Consult your doctor if you are currently breastfeeding a nursing infant.
Before taking Generic Abilify (Aripiprazole), you should inform your doctor of all other medication you are currently using, especially of:
- Dopamine agonists (e.g. Bromocriptine)
- Medication against high blood pressure (e.g. alpha blockers such as Prazosin, calcium channel blockers such as Diltiazem, diuretics such as hydrochlorothiazide)
- Medication affecting liver enzymes that may remove Aripiprazole from your body (e.g. azole antifungals including Ketoconazole and Itraconazole, Quinidine, certain anti-seizure medication including Carbamazepine, SSRI antidepressants including Fluoxetine and Paroxetine)
- Isoniazid (INH)
- Phenothiazines (e.g. Thioridazine)
- Tricyclic antidepressants (e.g. Amitriptyline)
- Certain antihistamines (e.g. Diphenhydramine)
- Anti-seizure drugs (e.g. Phenytoin)
- Medicine for sleep or anxiety (e.g. Alprazolam, Diazepam, Zolpidem)
- Muscle relaxants
- Narcotic pain relievers (e.g. Codeine)
- Psychiatric medicines (e.g. Chlorpromazine, Risperidone, Trazodone)
- Medication containing ingredients that cause drowsiness
This is only a partial list and other medication may interact with Generic Abilify (Aripiprazole). Tell your doctor about all other prescription and non-prescription medication you use, including vitamins, dietary supplements, herbal pills and medication prescribed by other doctors. Do not start or stop taking any medication without discussing this with your doctor first.
You may experience the following common side effects of Generic Abilify (Aripiprazole):
- Excess saliva or drooling
- Blurred vision
- Weight gain
If any of the above side effects persist or worsen, you should notify your doctor as soon as possible.
Inform your doctor straightaway if any of the following unlikely but serious side effects occur:
- Fast or pounding heartbeat
- Mental or mood changes (e.g. increased anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts)
- Feelings of restlessness
- Mask-like facial expression
- Shakiness (tremors)
- Muscle spasm or stiffness
- Trouble swallowing
- Swelling of the ankles or feet
Make sure to let your doctor know immediately if you experience any of these rare but very serious side effects:
- Signs of infection (such as fever, persistent sore throat)
Rarely, this medication may cause a serious condition called Tardive Dyskinesia. This condition may be permanent in some cases. Inform your doctor straightaway if you develop any unusual uncontrolled movements, for instance in the face, mouth, arms or legs.
In rare cases, Generic Abilify (Aripiprazole) could cause a serious nervous system disorder called Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome. Seek emergency medical attention if you encounter any of these rare but very serious side effects:
- Fast heartbeat
- Muscle stiffness
- Increased sweating
- Change in the amount of urine
You are very unlikely to suffer an allergic reaction, but look out for any symptoms. If a severe allergic reaction does occur, you have to seek immediate medical attention:
- Rash, Itching or swelling (especially of the face, tongue or throat)
- Severe dizziness
- Touble breathing
Elderly people who have dementia and are taking Generic Abilify (Aripiprazole) are slightly more at risk of serious conditions, such as heart failure, pneumonia and stroke. Discuss the risk and benefits with your doctor.
This is only a partial list and other side effects may occur. Notify your doctor straightaway if you notice any other side effects than the ones mentioned above, especially if they are bothersome.