How to use
Zantac (Ranitidine) is an effervescent tablet, which means that it needs to be dissolved in water before being swallowed. Please finish the entire content of the glass to be sure you have taken the full dose. Take Zantac (Ranitidine) only as recommended by your physician.
Symptoms of a Zantac (Ranitidine) overdose may be:
- Lack of coordination
- Light- headedness
If you suspect you have taken too much of this medication, you should contact your local poison control center or the emergency medical services.
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take the medicine at the next regularly scheduled time. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
Zantac (Ranitidine) may take up to 8 weeks to heal your ulcer. Zantac (Ranitidine) may also increase your risk of pneumonia.
Do not share this medication with others as they may have a condition that is not adequately treated with Zantac (Ranitidine).
Store Zantac (Ranitidine) at room temperature between 59 and 86 degrees F (15-30 degrees C) and away from light and moisture. KEEP THIS AND ALL MEDICATIONS OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.
The above information is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of your physician, pharmacist or other healthcare professional. It should not be construed that the taking of this medication is safe, appropriate or effective for you.
Before taking Zantac (Ranitidine), you should inform your doctor of your medical history, including:
- Any allergies
- A certain blood disorder (porphyria)
- Immune system problems
- Kidney or liver diseases
- Lung diseases (e.g. asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease-COPD)
- Other stomach problems (e.g. tumors)
Zantac (Ranitidine) may cause dizziness. Do not drive or operate heavy machinery while taking this medication until you are sure you can perform such activities safely.
Caution is advised for elderly people using this medication. Zantac (Ranitidine) is removed by the kidneys and kidney function declines as you get older. Elderly people may therefore be more at risk of side effects when taking these pills, especially confusion and dizziness.
Zantac (Ranitidine) is classed as Pregnancy Category B, which means it is not expected to harm an unborn child. You should be able to use this medication safely while pregnant, but still discuss this with your doctor first if you are currently pregnant or planning to become pregnant during treatment.
Zantac (Ranitidine) passes into breast milk. Consult your doctor before taking this medication if you are currently breastfeeding a baby.
Before taking Zantac (Ranitidine), you should inform your doctor of all other medication you are using to prevent potentially dangerous interactions from occuring and to make sure other medications are not affected. Especially include:
- Azole antifungals (e.g. ketoconazole)
- Medication containing aspirin or aspirin-like NSAIDs (e.g. Ibuprofen, Naproxen)
- Similar H2 histamine blockers (e.g. Cimetidine, Famotidine)
This is only a partial list and other interactions may occur. Inform your doctor of all other prescription and non-prescription medication you are using, including herbal pills, vitamins, dietary supplements and medication prescribed by other doctors. Do not start or stop using any medication without consulting your doctor first.
Side effects of Zantac (Ranitidine) are rare, but may include:
- Headache (may be severe)
- Drowsiness, dizziness
- Sleeping problems (insomnia)
- Decreased sex drive, impotence, or difficulty having an orgasm
- Swollen or tender chest
- Nausea, vomiting, stomach pain
- Diarrhea or constipation
More serious side effects may include:
- Chest pain, fever, feeling short of breath, coughing up green or yellow mucus
- Easy bruising or bleeding, unusual weakness
- Fast or slow heart rate
- Problems with your vision
- Fever, sore throat, and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash
- Nausea, stomach pain, low fever, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes)
Certain side effects may be the sign of a more serious condition. Immediately inform your doctor if you experience any of the following:
- Heartburn combined with lightheadedness, sweating or dizziness
- Chest pain, should or jaw pain (especially with trouble breathing)
- Pain spreading to arms, neck or shoulders
- Unexplained weight loss
If you experience any severe side effects, seek immediate medical attention. If you experience any minor side effects, consult your physician so that he may determine if Zantac (Ranitidine) is right for you. If you notice any other side effects than the ones mentioned above, notify your doctor immediately.